Monday, January 21, 2019

Mom Thought Mondays

Kiddo loves the snow, even when the windchill brings it -5 below. 

There are no sick days for parents, but Baby Shark on loop as my little sidekick requests, snacks in bed, and cuddles are a pretty good second to a sick day and actually sleeping.

There are so many moments I used to get anxious about:
  • Will I have to nurse her to sleep forever???
    • As it turns out, her getting sick last year around this time and not nursing to sleep was the transition that got us out of that habit.
  • Food. OMG what will she eat?
    • Some days she eats more than others. Don't make a big deal out of it. Give her something new every now and then when you can, and otherwise she's happy with rice and eggs. You'll figure something out.
And now that we're in the potty training stage, well, I've embraced a few things (Uh, this'll get kind of squicky for anyone who is easily grossed out by potty training, so feel free to skip ahead):
  • Bribery: I initially started out with 1 "choc choc" (M&M chocolate) for sitting on the potty, and 2 "choc chocs" for actually using the potty, but then she wised up and learned to ask to go to the potty every time she wanted a chocolate. Smart, kiddo. 
  • Electronic Devices: One tiny tablet will buy me a few extra minutes of sitting time for an antsy toddler.
  • Not caring too much, and indulging her every time she says the word "potty".
    • I was really surprised when she asked to go potty today when I felt super sick (and honestly would have just rather changed a diaper instead of the whole process we go through with getting undressed to go to bathroom), but then she used the toilet seat toddler insert, actually sat on it (she usually attempts to sit on it, screams and freaks out, then goes to her toddler potty next to the tub) and let out a good long whiz. HECK YES I AM BEST MOM EVER MY TODDLER IS USING THE TOILET SOMETIMES. Look, I need to take my victories where I can get them, 'kay?
      • That one got two choc chocs and a ton of praise. 
Are there parents that don't get sick of stuff on repeat? Kiddo has watched Baby Shark about eleventy billion times, and I find it kind of comforting, and she's starting to learn repetition and patterns from it, so it seems to have a little value.

Marie Kondo - that series was really sweet. She's the lady that says to get rid of your extra junk and only keep stuff that "Sparks Joy". I basically had to do that when I moved, but it's nice to see other forms of media and celebrity encouraging less stuff, and to have your kids help out. Kiddo's not quite 2, and I've made sure she sees me clean and knows how much I like a tidy place, and she'll now help me put away dishes and put dirty dishes in the sink.

No comments:

Post a Comment